Sunday, January 24, 2010

my intro to a listener


They say there are times when our hobby becomes a new toy to others and a chance to hear the world. I was on board a supply Tanker that had just left singapore and was given duty in the Dubai,UAE area. In our voyage we learned that we would have some military doing guard duty on the ship. Usually when we entered areas where Pirates or other stuff would occur.


While this wasn't a normal problem I asked about any chance of problems towards my usual fun nights of listening to my shortwave outside, which most of the crew knew about. The comment was no? So I went on doing what I enjoyed best. Listening to the airewaves and logging the stations I heard. I posted some of this to swl qth net group and many more. In a week or so we had 20 military soldiers on board including 2 females. I enjoyed meeting many of these people and appreciate the job they had to do. As many in the world don't understand the work they perform.


I was outside listening to some HF bands from Guam AFN on 13362 khz on the Sangean 909 and also had my Sony 7600gr with me. The bands were strong at times but this station was fading back enforth, so I began tuneing alittle on the sony to see what else was there, I felt a little bit like I wasnt alone, and suddenly looked up to see 3 soldiers standing nearby. One had his eyes to the water around us. The had been curious and was listening to the radio's activities, some began questioning what and whom I was hearing on these radio's. As time would go on many spent the same time each night checking out what I was hearing. One made comment that they were extremely homesick for news from home as they been in the field for 5 months and no newspapers or emails.


Shortly on one night we was listening to WWCR out of the USA and this gave them even more hope in what was happening.


3 days before they left they asked what portables I would recommend to carry on the trips. And I suggested some easy ones mostly portables like the sangean 505,909 and some others. One infact emailed his family and had a new radio and a copy of Monitoring times enroute.


Shortwave unlike Weblistening is alot better and easier to use for those who are in the field, internet can cost money in some areas and get pretty expensive, the inmarsat alone can be around $6 per minute as where the airwaves are free. Its also easier and better in listening to. Should try it when you go on vacation and you will see the difference and as I usually hear from shipmates and friends, you got a signal all the time unlike cellphones which lose it when outside the cell areas.

No comments:

Post a Comment