Friday, January 15, 2010

antenna projects


I been using mostly commerical and home made antennas for years, some have been very strange and also what we call stealth. I used once an old string of christmas tree lights strung between my roof and a tree in the backyard and had amazing good results.


On an old ship of my past I bought a antenna wire from Universal-radio and this was called flex-wire, around 100 ft in lenght, I went to radio shack in Hawaii and got some end insulators,a conector for the radio(similar to those stereo headphones) and some small wire aroud 22 gauge. I also found a small piece of wood that came from a broom handle and cut it down to 12 inches so I could wrap the wire around it. Later I discarded that wood for a plastic spool that was an old fishing line spool that a shipmate had used for his fishing off Hawaii.


I strung this out in many places in my travel but also with the Captains permission I strung it out on the Bow of my ship. I had amazing results and was constantly asked who or whom I had heard that day.


Home brewing is fun part of the hobby and your antenna projects is a great way to gain experience, as they say in old time radio show's "experience is the great teacher"


Off to Korea I go

No comments:

Post a Comment