Monday, June 1, 2009

My loggings on Guam Island


I did some flying to my next ship on Friday the 29th to catch up with my next ship assignment and was traveling for 32 hours getting here. I left the Hotel room in San Diego at 5 am to ride the bus to the main office, there I got a ride to the airport. I waited at the Lindberg Airport for about 2 hours for a 20 minute flight to Los Angeles. I did some talking to a guy at the airport who was also a Ham going to FT.Worth.

My flight to Los Angeles was 20 minutes but the pilot managed to work it to 18 minutes flying at 10,000 ft before making the approach to the airport. It was a good flight and smooth ride.

The airport had a new program in which anyone flying to Japan had to fill out a form stateing where they was coming from in the states and this was for health reasons due to the swine flu. They had health inspectors on board after we arrived. The worst part of this flight was the constantly turning on and off the seat belts as every time you got up to stretch or use the toilet they turned it on and the hard part for me was when I was in the C/R they turned it on, ever try to do that while being on a roller coaster. Especially standing.

When I got to Japan I had to wait another 4 or 5 hours to board the next flight, and during that time. It was rough.

While I waited in Guam I arrived around 3 in the morning and waited a few days to do my radio listening from the Island. I usually hang out in a spot called Cetti Point on the opposite side of the island, this is about 3 miles from a shortwave station called AWR, or Adventists world Radio.

My morning catches starts around 21:00 utc- and sometimes last about 2 hours depending on conditions and other interferences like local bugs or visitors as the spot is a property of the US Parks Department.

Log of 6/02/09

All times are in UTC and all frequencies In Kilohertz

21:10 ut 7225 khz China Radio International with Program called news and reports, talks on North Korea and some other world events. station signals were 33344

21:14 ut 9490 khz China Radio International with a mirror imagine of the 7225 khz and was much stronger in signals 44444

21:21 ut 9660 khz Radio Australia International News reports on Somalia Pirates and comments also about a missing air france jet and the continued searches for the lost air craft. also heard on 11695 khz both signals were 44444

Listening to radio stations via shortwave is great fun and a good past time for many around the world its the only way to keep in touch with home whether your on a ship or in a different country or there just for the heck of it. If you get a chance try it and send a report to those you hear. These stations will appreciate it and might send your report over the airwaves.

I have been a shortwave buff for 40 years and Ham Radio Operator since 1982. Its fun and for me more relaxing than everyday TV programs.

73's and Happy Dxing

No comments:

Post a Comment